- Yes, all Malaysian Non-Sarawakian (West Malaysian, Labuan, and Sabahan) must apply for the student pass.
- This is a mandatory requirement by the Immigration Sarawak, Malaysia. A student pass permits you to remain in Sarawak, Malaysia to study in Sarawak, Malaysia. A student pass will be endorsed or stick in your passport.
- No. The Social Visit Pass is only for the purpose of social visit. It is considered violating the Sarawak Immigration law for student studying and staying in Sarawak with the Social Visit Pass.
- Student must cancel their previous student pass. Kindly contact your previous institution on cancellation process.
- New undergraduate students must apply for the student pass during orientation week. There will be a session during orientation week for the student to come to Student Services to apply for the Student Pass. A postgraduate student may apply for the student pass during the registration at Curtin Malaysia.
- Students must apply for Malaysian International Passport or Malaysia DPT Passport (Dokumen Perjalan Terhad) at their hometown and the passport validity must be more than 1 year.
- No. The applicant must present at the Immigration Office at UTC (Urban Transformation Centre) to apply or renew their passport. Curtin can only assist in applying or renewing the student pass.
- Please refer to the “New Student Pass” page
- The Student Pass has a validity of up to a 1 year for a new student pass application while for student pass renewal it has a validity of minimum 6 months and up to a maximum of 1 year (as at 2022).
- During the peak period, the process can take about 30 working days and 10 working days for the non-peak period. It all depends on the number of applications received.
- Students should renew the student pass the earliest is 3 months before the student pass expiry date. Do not renew the student pass 3 weeks before the student pass expiry date. It is a student’s responsibility to check the validity of your Student Pass including your passport to ensure that you are not overstaying in Sarawak.
- Domestic Student Pass Office will send an email to official student email once the student pass is endorsed. Students are advised to frequently check their student email.
- Please click “here” and search for the form.
- Please click “here” for guide on how to fill in the Student Pass Extension form.
- Please submit to us the copy of your flight itinerary at least 10 working days before your flight departure date. We will collect your passport before your flight departure date.
- Yes. Student need to submit both old and new passport together with other documents for student pass renewal.
- Please refer to “Student Pass Renewal” page
- No. You will not be allowed to exit Sarawak without a valid student pass.
- There is no fee for the Domestic Student Pass renewal.
21. What happen if the Student Pass is expired and I will be travelling within 5 working days? What should I do?
- You will not be allowed to exit Sarawak without a valid student pass.
- You need to submit the flight itinerary, Passport, and copy of IC to the Domestic Student Pass counter at Student services. Domestic Student Pass will prepare the application for the MPK letter for the student.
- The student will be advised to meet and submit the application for the MPK Letter to the Immigration Officer at Yu Lan Plaza to get the MPK letter before the flight departure.
- Student must apply for the student pass once they are back to Curtin Campus
- No. The Student Pass holder are only allowed to work part-time for a maximum of 20 hours per week only during semester break or holidays of more than 7 days. Students can only work in Restaurants, petrol Kiosk, mini markets or hotel.
- Holders of Dependant Pass below 18 years old can be exempt to apply for the Student Pass. The Dependant Pass holder above 18 years old must cancel their Dependant Pass and apply for the Student Pass.
24. What if I am a Postgraduate student and I am working full –time in Sarawak? Can I have a working permit and Student Pass at the same time?
- Malaysian Postgraduate students who are working full-time in Sarawak can be exempted from applying Student Pass. Full-time working postgraduate student is not allowed to have working permit and Student pass at the same time. However, Postgraduate student with a working permit must scan copy and email their working permit to Domestic Student Pass email for our record, or you may visit us at the Domestic Student Pass counter at Student Services and we will assist you to scan copy the working permit.
25. What if I am a Postgraduate student who is working full time at my own state (outside Sarawak) without working permit? Do I need to apply for the student pass?
- Postgraduate student who is working full time at their own state outside Sarawak does not have to apply for the Student Pass. However, they must submit a copy of their Confirmation of Employment Letter to Domestic Student Services Office for record purposes. The Student Pass holder is not allowed to work full-time.
26. What if I am a Postgraduate student who are studying full-time in Sarawak without working permit?
- Postgraduate student who are studying full-time in Sarawak without working permit must apply for the student pass.
27. What if I have decided to withdraw, transfer to other institution, or I will be completing my studies?
- If the expiry of Student Pass is more than 6 months upon leaving Curtin University Malaysia, student must Curtail their Student Pass at least 10 working days before the flight departure date. For more info, please refer to the “Curtailment of Domestic Student Pass” page.
- Student should make a police report.
- Apply for a new passport at UTC. Kindly bring along the copy of police report and copy of IC to apply new passport at UTC Miri.
- Please meet or email Domestic Student Pass office for further action.
- Student should make a police report. Submit a copy of the police report to Domestic Student Pass office. This is only required for student who is going to apply for the New Student Pass application and Student Pass renewal.
- Effective September 2021, student who wishes to change major or course must apply for the New Student Pass application
Students need to curtail their student pass.
They need to apply for the new student pass application upon return to campus.