- Yes, all Malaysian Non-Sarawakian (West Malaysian, Labuan, and Sabahan) must apply for the student pass.
- This is a mandatory requirement by the Immigration Sarawak, Malaysia. A student pass permits you to remain in Sarawak, Malaysia to study in Sarawak, Malaysia. A student pass will be endorsed or stick in your passport.
- No. The Social Visit Pass is only for the purpose of social visit. It is considered violating the Sarawak Immigration law for student studying and staying in Sarawak with the Social Visit Pass.
- Student must cancel their previous student pass. Kindly contact your previous institution on cancellation process.
- New undergraduate students must apply for the student pass during orientation week. There will be a session during orientation week for the student to come to Student Services to apply for the Student Pass. A postgraduate student may apply for the student pass during the registration at Curtin Malaysia.
- Students must apply for Malaysian Blue Passport (DPT) at their hometown and the passport validity must be:
(Degree – must be valid not less than 3 years and 2 months)
(Foundation – must be valid not less than 1 year and 2 months)
- No. Students must apply for Malaysian Blue Passport (DPT) at their hometown before they enter Sarawak. The Malaysia Blue Passport (DPT) is a valid travel document for the purposes of entering, exiting and living temporarily in East Malaysia for a period exceeding 3 months. The Malaysian International Passport.(Red Passport) is for the purpose of travelling abroad.
- No. The applicant must present at the Immigration Office at UTC (Urban Transformation Centre) to apply or renew their passport. Curtin can only assist in applying or renewing the student pass.
- YES. The applicant can renew their passport even if the passport validity is more than 6 months. The Malaysian Blue Passport (DPT) still can be renewed at the same passport until the pages is full.
- Please refer to the “New Student Pass” page
- The Student Pass has a validity of a minimum of 1 year or up to a maximum of 3 years for a new student pass application while for student pass renewal it has a validity of minimum 6 months and up to a maximum of 3 years (subject to passport validity and duration of the study).
- Please take note that the timeline is at the discretion of the Immigration Office. During the peak period, the process can take about 15 working days and 7 working days for the non-peak period. This also depends on the number of applications received. Domestic Student Pass will follow up with the Immigration Office every week.
- You should renew your student pass the earliest is 3 months before the student pass expiry date. Do not renew your student pass 3 weeks before the student pass expiry date. It is a student’s responsibility to check the validity of your Student Pass including your passport to ensure that you are not overstaying in Sarawak.
- Domestic Student Pass Office will send an email to official student email once the student pass is endorsed. Students are advised to frequently check their student email.
- Please click “here” and search for the form.
- Please click “here” for guide on how to fill in the Student Pass Extension form.
- Please submit to us the copy of your flight itinerary at least 2 weeks before your flight departure date. We will collect your passport before your flight departure date.
- Yes. Student need to submit both old and new passport together with other documents for student pass renewal.
- Please refer to “Student Pass Renewal” page
- No. You will not be allowed to exit Sarawak without a valid student pass.
- A penalty of RM100 will be fine for expired student pass. Please renew your student pass before the student pass expiry date at Student Services.
- No. You have to renew your Malaysian Blue Passport(DPT) before you renew your student pass. Malaysian Blue Passport (DPT) can be renewed even if the validity is still more than 6 months.
- There is no fee for the Domestic Student Pass renewal.
25. What happen if the Student Pass is expired and I will be travelling within 7 days? What should I do?
- You will not be allowed to exit Sarawak without a valid student pass. A penalty of RM100 will be fine for an expired student pass.
- You need to complete and submit the student pass renewal documents to the Domestic Student Pass counter at Student services. Domestic Student Pass will prepare the Student Pass Renewal letter for the student.
- The student will be advised to meet and submit the Student Pass Renewal Letter to the Immigration Officer at Yu Lan Plaza to get the student pass endorsed before the flight departure.
- No. Any Student Pass which expired more than 5 months need to apply for a New Student Pass Application. Please refer to “New Student Pass Application” page for documents needed to apply for the New Student Pass. A penalty of RM100 will still be imposed for expired student pass.
- No. The Student Pass holder are only allowed to work part-time for a maximum of 20 hours per week only during semester break or holidays of more than 7 days. Students can only work in Restaurants, petrol Kiosk, mini markets or hotel.
- Holders of Dependant Pass below 18 years old can be exempt to apply for the Student Pass. The Dependant Pass holder above 18 years old must cancel their Dependant Pass and apply for the Student Pass.
29. What if I am a Postgraduate student and I am working full –time in Sarawak? Can I have a working permit and Student Pass at the same time?
- Malaysian Postgraduate students who are working full-time in Sarawak can be exempted from applying Student Pass. Full-time working postgraduate student is not allowed to have working permit and Student pass at the same time. However, Postgraduate student with a working permit must scan copy and email their working permit to Domestic Student Pass email for our record, or you may visit us at the Domestic Student Pass counter at Student Services and we will assist you to scan copy the working permit.
30. What if I am a Postgraduate student who is working full time at my own state (outside Sarawak) without working permit? Do I need to apply for the student pass?
- Postgraduate student who is working full time at their own state outside Sarawak does not have to apply for the Student Pass. However, they must submit a copy of their Confirmation of Employment Letter to Domestic Student Services Office for record purposes. The Student Pass holder is not allowed to work full-time.
31. What if I am a Postgraduate student who are studying full-time in Sarawak without working permit?
- Postgraduate student who are studying full-time in Sarawak without working permit must apply for the student pass.
32. What if I have decided to withdraw, transfer to other institution, or I will be completing my studies?
- If the expiry of Student Pass is more than 6 months upon leaving Curtin University Malaysia, student must Curtail their Student Pass at least 10 working days before the flight departure date. For more info, please refer to the “Curtailment of Domestic Student Pass” page.
- Student should make a police report.
- Apply New Malaysia Blue Passport (DPT) at UTC. Kindly bring along the copy of police report and copy of IC to apply new passport at UTC Miri.
- Please meet or email Domestic Student Pass office for further action.
- Student should make a police report. Submit a copy of the police report to Domestic Student Pass office. This is only required for student who is going to apply for the New Student Pass application and Student Pass renewal.
- Effective September 2021, student who wishes to change major or course must apply for the New Student Pass application
- Student Services is closed for face-to-face services until further notice. If you wish to renew your student pass during this period kindly email email@example.com.
- Since all the non-essential staff is working from home, we will set the day, date, and time for students to submit their documents.